Friday, April 5, 2013

A few Spring paintings

I guess I'm back to Blogger again, after a stint with the Moonfruit blog. I thought it would be much more convenient to have all my pages tied to one site but it just didn't work out. They've been taking a long time to upgrade their sites to HTML5, and in the meantime my blog there was bug-riddled.

At any rate, I have been doing a few plein air oil sketches as we have had nice weather here, except for the pollen. 

I started this first painting with a few thumbnail sketches to nail down the composition. In a scene like this, I find it too easy to be overwhelmed by the number of details instead of focusing on the "big look," so starting with a sketch keeps me in the right frame of mind.

A Balmy Day
Oil on board, 9 x 12 inches.
Spring Wildflowers
Spring Wildflowers
Oil on board, 11 x 14 inches.
The second painting was done in intermittent rain, which was a first for me. Oil paint just sheds water, so it was OK. When the rain stopped, I just wiped down my palette and kept going. I also battled with changing light as the rainstorm rolled in. Consequently, the paint ended up being piled on pretty thick on this one since I had to paint over the sky color and distant trees to reflect the differences.