Friday, April 26, 2013

Pinterest for Artists

My Pinterest boards.
Pinterest seems to be all the rage these days. I admit, I was a little hesitant to join at first, but I've found it quite useful as a painter. I recently read an article about using Pinterest for art marketing, but I can't speak to that, as I haven't had much luck with that aspect. But, I do use it a lot as a sort of "visual filing cabinet" for myself as I run across images on the web.

In the past, I collected digital images of paintings I liked in massive folders on my computer, but that practice quickly became cumbersome. I had files spread out over a couple of computers and didn't really have a great system to retain the name, medium, or size of the work I found.

My Pinterest board of Corot sketches.
Thankfully, Pinterest allows you to link back to the site you found the work on (conceivably so you can access a high-resolution copy), and has a space for a brief description. On the downside, it's easy to burn a few hours while browsing.

You can follow me on Pinterest here.