Thursday, July 25, 2013

Landscape with Extended Zorn Palette

Clarence Foster Park
Oil on panel, 11 x 14 inches
Click Here to Purchase
I wanted to try painting a landscape where the focus was on values, rather than on color. This painting was done using the famous Zorn palette: yellow ochre, ivory black, cadmium red or vermilion, and white. I had to throw in some Prussian blue. I tried starting without it, but couldn't carry the painting through without blue. The low chroma greens were mixed from yellow ochre and either Prussian or black, with various amounts of cadmium red.

On a side note, my ochre is Old Holland gold ochre, and it's the real thing (PY43, natural iron oxide). It's gritty under the brush and has low tinting strength compared to PY42. It's very different and feels like painting with dirt. Previous generations did so well with it. When this tube is gone I'll probably switch back to the synthetic.

The painting was carried out using the process I talked about in the last post: a few thumbnail sketches, followed by a value sketch on the panel (in raw umber this time), then the color.