Monday, December 2, 2013

Bryant House


"Bryant House," oil on panel, 11 x 14 inches.

This time of year I usually get a few requests for commissions, which are a lot of fun since they often require me to get out of my comfort zone. I was fortunate to be close enough to this subject that I could work on location.
 
Though I'm happy with the way the painting turned out, this was a very difficult day for working outside. The wind was blowing dead-on at the back of my easel, which kept trying to tip at my face. I had the easel weighted down, but I was still having to hold it with one hand and paint with the other. After about 2 hours, I got to a stopping point where I had enough information to tighten things up from reference photos.
 
Not a straight line to be found on that painting yet.
My palette also tried to fly off the easel a few times. Between weather, bugs, and changing light, there are always hurdles when working outside. But I think the results are hands-down better than working straight from photos.