Thursday, March 6, 2014

Bring the Art with You

I really love painting on location and not painting directly from photos. That said, I will usually snap a few reference photos during the painting session in case I need to rework details once I bring the painting home. I ran across my hoard of reference photos a few days ago and thought it would make a fun blog post to show some alongside the finished paintings.

These are all in my near surroundings--none is more than 5-10 miles away from my home. There are subjects for paintings everywhere. You can spend hours looking for the perfect subject, but you're better off just finding something with potential and adapting it. Like Stapleton Kearns says, "You bring the art with you into the landscape."

Note that some of the photos were taken at different times of day, cloud cover, etc., than the paintings were painted.