Wednesday, July 2, 2014

DWG Pasture - 11x14 inches, oil on panel

DWG Pasture
11x14 inches, oil on panel
Click Here to Purchase
There is a neighborhood here called Dalworthington Gardens that I've mentioned before on the blog; it has a lot of pastoral elements and I paint there now and then. People are allowed to have livestock and large plots of land, even though we're in the middle of the Dallas-Fort Worth metroplex. It was part of a program created by Eleanor Roosevelt in the 1930s so that people who worked in the city could retain a connection to rural life. 

This painting is of one of the pastures there, although I changed it up quite a bit. I saw the sunlight hitting that patch of land in the middle ground of the painting and knew that would make a great center of interest. I've been looking at a lot of classical painting lately (Claude Lorrain, Poussin, up through Constable and Corot, etc.), so I'm sure that influenced this work. The composition and color scheme in this painting are pretty classical to me.